PLEASE NOTE: The empi drill sequence does not form part of the current grading syllabus, it is a training drill only!
The empi drill sequence that we practice within CFTS consist of eight empi strikes.
The strikes are named as follows;
- Mae empi (front elbow strike)
- Mawashi empi (roundhouse elbow strike)
- Ushiro empi (rear elbow strike)
- Ushiro-mawashi empi (rear roundhouse elbow strike)
- Yoko empi (side elbow strike)
- Yoko-age empi (upper side elbow strike)
- Age empi (upper elbow strike)
- Otoshi empi (downward elbow strike)
These are done in pairs, two to the front (N) , two to the rear (S), two to the right side (E) and the final two at a 45 degree angle forwards (NE).
The individual strikes (at point of contact) are shown in the images below (remember to always use two hands to achieve maximum power);
|Mae empi||Mawashi empi||Ushiro empi||Ushiro-mawashi empi|
|Yoko empi||Yoko-age empi||Age empi||Otoshi empi|
View the empi strikes in a drill sequence;
|Click here to view the Empi Drill sequence video|
View the bunkai application of the drill sequence;
|Click here to view the Empi Drill sequence application video|